Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rmilliken
New Contributor

New GUI interface for VPN in 5.2?

Am I the only one that thinks the new interface for VPN in 5.2 and up is just plain awful? I've been building tunnels as my primary job function for over 10 years and using Fortinet for the last 3, and for the life of me I can't explain why the interface was changed. I have a box that is only for our outside tunnels running 5.0 and I have no desire to upgrade the firmware until I absolutely have to, or a security issue forces us to do it.

I've had nothing be problems getting the new style to work for our remote sites with limited success.

Built a tunnel the other day with a guy who had just upgraded his 200C to 5.2.3 and it took a really long time to get it functional. A Fortinet to Fortinet tunnel should be a piece of cake. It always has been in the past anyway.

Anyone else??

1 REPLY 1
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I'd don't agree. I've just checked an existing VPN setup in v5.2.3. The new GUI is meant to conceal the vast number of parameters which are growing in numbers from year to year. They still are organized top-down, I can find everything I'd be looking for and tunnels start working right after configuration, as they used to do.

OK, you could debate the mechanism of drilldown, for instance whether the details should unfold with a mere 'mouse over'. That would save a lot of clicks. Another idea, hitting ESC to close the unfolded view would suit me as I'm working from the keyboard a lot. But these are fine points; as long as the functionality doesn't suffer I can live with the new looks. Just compare these changes in GUI to the transition from Office 2003 to 2007 or from Windows 7 to 8. That's what I'd call impertinent.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors