Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
plsikk
New Contributor III

Mixed network topology - MCLAG with RING

Hello All.

I need to deploy Fortinet solution in small factory ( FG, FS ) and I have a question , How to connect exist ring to MCLAG cluster ( this red Ring ) - Can I mix Ring redundancy with MCLAG redundancy ? 

ring direct connect.png

or option 2

ring via two connect.png

ofc in this ring will be more installed FSwitches. 

I know that in some point STP discard link , but how to avoid often recalculations of STP.

part of infrastructure exist and I don't want to install new cables everywhere 

What happened if I connect another ring next to red one ?

Best regards
Best regards
1 Solution
ebilcari

As mentioned in the section above, that should be enabled by default. If it's not disabled you are good to go: On the global switch level, mclag-stp-aware must be enabled, and STP must be enabled on all ICL trunks. They are both enabled by default.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello plsikk,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Basically mixing MCLAG links with STP links is possible (in any possible way), as shown also in the Administration guide as long as the mclag-stp-aware is enabled there will be no L2 loops in the network. MCLAG trunks will be automatically created when possible.

MCLAG it's always recommended on switches that support it since it helps design a tiered network to have better throughput (not discarding links with STP) but that depends on the network requirements and cabling possibility.

STP is calculated each time a link status changes, as long as the links and the switches are stable (no flapping) there will be no unnecessary re-calculations that can possibly affect end users experience.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
plsikk
New Contributor III

Where to activate/enable mclag-stp-aware option? is ot on FG or  directly on switches which created mclag link .

Best regards
Best regards
ebilcari

As mentioned in the section above, that should be enabled by default. If it's not disabled you are good to go: On the global switch level, mclag-stp-aware must be enabled, and STP must be enabled on all ICL trunks. They are both enabled by default.

- Emirjon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors