Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
aguerriero
Contributor II

Longest Match Routing

With other network vendors I can override a local interface by using a longer bit match for the prefix/mask. 

Say I have 172.16.0.0/24 and 172.16.1.0/24 at site 1 but I want to reach 172.16.0.10/32 at site 2 from 172.16.1.0/24 over the VPN tunnel. I can create the specific host route and create a /32 phase 2 SA.  The problem I am seeing is that the /32 does not override a locally configured interface with a shorter mask length. Even if I disable site 1s 172.16.0.0/24 interface, nothing will route over the tunnel. If I change the address on the site 1 interface to something not in that range then it works.  At the very least I would expect that disabling the site 1 interface would allow me to route over the VPN to site 2. 

This is on 6.2.7

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I didn't know the answer so I tested it myself. It's working in my environment. I borrowed one of available IPs from my /28 LAN and placed the /32 as a loopback interface on the opposite side of the IPsec tunnel. Then pinged from 3 sources:

1) the FGT itself (picks up the tunnel interface IP for the source)

2) coming from other interface (wifi)

3) coming from the /28 subnet

all got through the tunnel (I was sniffing on both sides of the tunnel). My local FGT is FG50E 6.2.7.

I should try running "flow debug" to see how your FGT is handling the packets.

aguerriero
Contributor II

Weird. I will have to try again in a lab environment. I ended up using overlapping NAT.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes longest match should always win 

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors