Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
NeoRant
New Contributor III

Initial Fortimail configuration and tuning - Gateway Mode (in DMZ or Behind Firewall)

Hello family!

I am asked to enhance a Fortimail VM with recommended features located in the dashboard for Fortimail 7.4( and believe me, I do not understand MOST of the features in Fortimail - as someone said in a  video, features are TOO vast/plenty):

1. Policy (Access control, ip policy, recipient policy etc)

2. Profile (session, antispam, antivirus, content, replacement message, resource, auth, ldap, dictionary, security, ip pool, group, notification)

3. Security(url filter, quarantine, greylist etc)

4. Encryption ( IBE etc)

5. Log & Report

Could I kindly get a set template/industry standard for a good Fortimail Deployment( a step by step guide) so that i can use on my fortimail? I know many admins have their options tweaked to their environment, but I will use anyone's recommended options, take time tweak mine accordingly.

I already know my LAN/WAN net configs. The only thing i would do is just use my IP details, replacing what ever I get.

I have done some of reading, but no real recommendation or "how to" guide in setting up Fortimail with great antispam, antivirus etc features. Most settings in these dashboard sections have been set to default, but I welcome any recommendations PLEASE.

4 REPLIES 4
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Neorant
You need to establish at first at which mode you'll run your FortiMail: as server, gateway or transparent
Then you could setup an initial basic but functional configuration using a wizard.
Something interesting in Fortimail: default profiles are very good for real email traffic, you can rely on these.

Then, looking logs and get feedback from your users and make adjustements.

However, nothing will avoid to read documentation thoroughly to be safe. It´s publicly availaible at https://docs.fortinet.com, with examples, cookbooks etc

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
NeoRant
New Contributor III

Noted, thanks. The admin document is daunting to say the least. I wonder if the Fortinet cookbooks will provide some more help.

abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi again,
I guess that could be related with all three modes are presented under the same big doc a same level; and you have the isolate what's a server mode setting, or transparent or gateway;
I agree, it's not the best compiled manual at this version at least.

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
NeoRant
New Contributor III

THIS IS PERFECT!

I am going to create a post and I will share the Guide here as well. I found a solution to assist new Fortimail users(Sys admins, IT Engineers, general customers) in setting up there Fortimail with recommended/standard/effective settings.

Kindly see link below:

*https://ebin.pub/fortinet-fortimail-lab-guide-for-fortimail-72.html*

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors