Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pblazey
New Contributor

I'm confused about IPS Admin Profile (FMG 7.2)

The study guide for NSE 5 states that the IPS Admin Profile in Read Only mode can

1) Read but not edit or install IPS Objects

2) Install firewall policies without installing IPS-related objects

3) Assign profiles in the policy package

I'm pretty confused about 2 and 3.

For 2, the administrator cannot modify firewall policies, but they can install them? And they can't install IPS related objects? Does this mean that they can't install a firewall policy if it has an IPS object referenced in it?

For 3, if the administrator assigns a profile to a policy in the package, can they install this package?

I feel like the documentation isn't that clear

4 REPLIES 4
asrour
Staff
Staff

Hi,

The IPS admin is a restricted admin, you can give him the permission to install IPS sensors and NOT policy packages

please check the link below from the Admin guide

IPS administrators have visibility on each IPS profile | FortiManager 7.2.0 | Fortinet Document Libr...

A Srour
pblazey
New Contributor

Ok. So the IPS admin can install IPS sensors when they have Read/Write privileges.

What about when they have Read Only? Point 2 says they can "install firewall policies without installing IPS related objects", and "assign profiles in the policy package". I'm not sure what these mean. What does it mean by "install firewall policies without installing IPS related objects" and "assign profiles in the policy package"?

Screenshot_101.png

asrour
Staff
Staff

it seems that this slide needs to be reviewed, the Admin guide is more accurate

A Srour
pblazey
New Contributor

How does this occur? Am I able to raise a ticket to have the training modified to be more accurate?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors