Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
microchipmatt
New Contributor

Fortigate 30 E Wan Port Issues - Recently Started - Firmware Verison: v5.6.11 build1700 (GA)

I have a Fortigate 30E. In the past, this device was not an issue. However, I have had several Fortigates, 2 60E's and now a 30E. I have had NIC's fail on these devices in the past. However, I want to confirm an issue I am only RECENTLY having with my Fotigate 30E and what I have done to diagnose it. I am Starting to think it is a WAN port NIC issue on the 30E. When I first installed this device, about 4 years ago, I had the ISP put the telus Fiber device in Bridging mode, so that the WAN interface on the 30E would get the external ISP internet address. The ISP had their interface set to auto (It is a GB interface), so auto is 1Gbps on their interface. I set the WAN interface to auto, on the Fortigate 30E and instantly it auto negotiated at 1Gbps. For four years I was able to get pretty much the FULL speed up and down of my connection, minus a little but of usage (Between 150 - 170 Mbps up and down, that is the up and down speed as per the contract). I monitor the interface speeds on the Fortigate and on average all devices together on the LAN only use about 3Mbps throughput, mostly down. 

About 2 weeks ago, my family and I noticed a degradation in the internet speed. I started doing internet speed tests and found I can just recently only pull between 20 - 30 Mbps down, BUT I get the full upload, which I understand as we use hardly any services that used upload, so I get 150 - 170 Mbps up. At first I blamed the LAN thinking some device had gone Rouge. I checked the DHCP monitor and the Bandwidth used per client, and there was no change, no usage, no device pulling more than it should.

Just to make sure there was nothing wrong with the TELUS Fibre device, I plugged the WAN cable from the fortigate, directly into my Laptop, cloned the MAC Address from the Fortigate WAN port to my Laptop NIC (To mac sure ISP was not shaping via MAC all of a sudden) and ran a speed test. I instantly received 170Mbps Down and 170Mbps Up. So we know the Wan Ethernet Cable is Good. 

I then plugged the WAN cable back into the Fortigate WAN interface. I then checked ALL Lan Interface ports from command lan, and the WAN interface using the command: 
diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic wan

diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic lan1

diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic lan2

diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic lan3

diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic lan4

All interfaces show 1000Mbps (1Gbps). Next I unpluged ALL lan cables from the LAN ports EXCEPT for one, that I Put my laptop on for testing. I let my Laptop get an internal DHCP address and did a speedtest. With ALL other LAN ports unplugged (which means NOTHING is on the LAN Except my laptop), I get the SAME Abismal download speeds  20 - 30 Mpbs down, 170Mbps up. Keep in mind when I tested above the Fortigate with the Telus Fiber device, with my MAC address cloned to be the same as the Fortigate I received 170 Mbps down and 170Mbps up. This tells me its a Fortigate 30E issue, because even with EVERYTHING unplugged from the LAN, so that no other bandwidth is used, with my one laptop device plugged into the LAN, I get only 20 - 30 Mbps down, but 170Mbps up.  

My first question is, has anyone seen a WAN or LAN nic fail ot start to fail in this fashion, where one of the duplex speeds were affected (I have, so I think it's the fortigate WAN port). Since we know its not the LAN devices themselves and we can get full speed above the fortigate, does anyone have any suggesitons of anything else to check on the Fortigate 30E?  Right now I'm aiming towards the fact that there is starting to be Faulty Fortigate WAN NIC.

3 REPLIES 3
Jean-Philippe_P

Hello microchipmatt, 

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible. 

Thanks, 

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
Jean-Philippe_P

Hello,

We are still looking for an answer to your question.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
spoojary
Staff
Staff
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors