Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Rehad
New Contributor II

Fortigate 1100 LACP Problem

Hello,

We have a Fortigate 1100 connected to a Cisco NX-3548 with 2 LACP links for WAN internet access . In some heavy network traffic days ( three times  in six months )  Both of two LACP links to Cisco NX gets blocked. I am thinking that LACP flapping occurs. 

These are 10G fiber connections. Are stock transceivers can be a cause of this problem ?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello Rehad

Which FortiOS version?

Did you perform any action to unblock the links or it came back by it own once traffic was low again?

Do you have any relevant system logs from FG and Cisco sides at the moment of the outage?

AEK
AEK
Rehad
New Contributor II

Fortigate firmware version is v7.2.6.

Unfortunately we couldn't get any logs from FG and Cisco because specialized persons were not present at that time. Only thing we can do is restarting the FG. After restart everything was fine.

AEK

Your issue looks quite similar to that one affecting FOS 7.2.6 on FG 1100E.

Probably you will have to wait for next patch and open a ticket in case there is a workaround. Meanwhile if the impact is high then you might need to drop the LACP.

When configuring an 802.3ad aggregate interface with a 1 Gbps speed, the port's LED is off and traffic cannot pass through. Affected platforms: 110xE, 220xE, 330xE, 340xE, and 360xE.

AEK
AEK
Rehad
New Contributor II

Once the problem occurs there was stock transceivers . Current information of this transceiver is as follows;

Interface port25 - SFP/SFP+/SFP28, 10GBASE-SR
Diagnostics : Implemented
Vendor Name : OEM
Part No. : SFP-10G-SR-LL
Serial No. : 202009281816
Measurement Unit Value High Alarm High Warning Low Warning Low Alarm
------------ ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------
Temperature (Celsius) 31.6 90.0 85.0 -5.0 -10.0
Voltage (Volts) 3.37 3.60 3.50 3.00 2.90
Tx Bias (mA) 6.89 15.00 13.00 2.00 1.00
Rx Power (dBm) -40.0 -- 5.0 3.0 -15.0 -17.0
Tx Power (dBm) -2.6 4.0 3.0 -8.0 -9.0
++ : high alarm, + : high warning, - : low warning, -- : low alarm, ? : suspect.

Some figures are not within the limits. Both of the transceivers were stock transceivers. This can be the cause of the problem ?

AEK

I don't know if this OEM SFP can cause such issue or not, but in my experience they generally work fine. However it is possible that you will not get support from Fortinet on issues related to this SFP, but you can always try.

AEK
AEK
Rehad
New Contributor II

Thanks AEK,

We may think to drop LACP because the impact is quite high. But that time there are too many Firewall policy rules using wan1 ( LAG interface name ) . Is there a way keeping this wan1 interface and rules by dropping the LACP.

Thanks Again

Rehad
New Contributor II

Actually i forgot the mention the SD-WAN definition.

LAG interface name wan1 is used in the SD-WAN definition , which has wan1 and wan2 . wan2 is not used , there is no physical connection for wan2.

the SD-WAN name ( WAN ) is used in all of the Firewall policy rules.

AEK

You may try with Interface Migration utility

• Go to Network > Interface
  • Select the interface
  • Click on "Integrate Interface" button
  • Follow the wizard until the end

You should try firs in lab to master the procedure and check it works fine before going on prod.

Don't forget to take a full backup before the operation.

Do it during maintenance window (possible downtime).

AEK
AEK
Rehad
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot, i will try this.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors