Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
khhussnain
New Contributor

FortiWeb 100D Internet Access to Backend Server

We have deployed Fortiweb 100D in reverse proxy mode. We want to provide Internet access to backend servers through Foritweb. Applications that are hosted on backend servers are accessing properly using internet. But backend server has no internet connection showing via fortiweb. All virtual servers IP and also all fortinet interfaces IP's are pinging from backend server but the router gateway 192.168.11.5 is not pinging. Please help

12 REPLIES 12
khhussnain
New Contributor

Any Update please!!!!

khhussnain
New Contributor

Any Update please

anasalomari

FortiWeb can not act as gateway for your servers, it just revers proxy.

so you need to add tow Ethernet interfaces to your server and add deferente routes inside your server.

or alternatively  ,you need add L3 device in front of your server and the do  routing on that L3 node.

Anas

khhussnain

Hello Anas,

Thanks for your reply. So how can I get Internet to backed servers if there is no router. e.g Fortiweb True transparent proxy or Transparent inspection mode. I want to give Internet to backend servers using Fortiweb. I dnt have fortigate in my environment. Can I use policy route for this?

AlbTR

Hi

It looks like you will need a forward proxy (not reverse proxy) for that flow.

Personally never tried, however, in fortiweb you can enable ip forwarding and you can play with simple firewall features that you can find there. There is also snat.  be careful as policy is by default in accept mode. enabling it may breake the client -webserver flow.

to check /enable ip forwarding  use comands below:

get router setting

ip-forward : disable

ip6-forward : disable 

config router setting set ip-forward enable end    

Best

Ab

anasalomari

hello,

ip-forward is used for the revers traffic note forward traffic.

but i sugest to have 2 ethernets for your server ( ie eth0, eth1)

configure eth0 without gateway. and make sure that eth0 on the server and fortiweb lan are in the same subnet( layer 2 connectivity)

and on eth1 define default gateway.

Thanks,

Anas

khhussnain

Hi Anas,

Sorry I couldn't reply you as I had no Internet access. Yeah I have already implemented the steps you mentioned. Eth0 is for fortiweb/Switch/Servers and Eth1 is direcectly connected to TPLINK Router with DHCP for Internet Access. But my outbound and Inbound traffic won't be filtered by Firewall. So I want Fortiweb to filter Forward proxy traffic as well. Do I must need Fortigate in this environment?

khhussnain

Hi Anas,

Any Update?

khhussnain

I have executed following commands. Now I am able to ping Gateway of TP-LINK Router from Backend servers but still unable to get through Internet? Any thoughts

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors