Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
polarpanda
New Contributor II

FortiManager Accesses LDAP Server

Hi Fortinet Gurus,

What are the reasons/use cases Fortimanager need to access LDAP server? If I need to manage user definition and user group management, do i need to allow Fortimanager to access LDAP first? THank you.

2 Solutions
saneeshpv_FTNT

Hi,

You can use LDAP protocol in FortiManager to integrate it with your Directory services and can be used them as a means of verifying the Administrative Credentials. You need to allow required port (389/636) for the communication between FMG and your Directory server.

Regards,

View solution in original post

saneeshpv_FTNT

Hi,

"If i need to use Fortimanager to add or edit Fortigate User&Authentication -> User Definition or User Groups or LDAP servers sections"

- In the Fortimanager when you add LDAP Sever under the "Policy Package -> Object Configuration -> User & Authentication -> LDAP Server" and then add Remote User or User group under "User&Authentication -> User Definition or User Groups", it will try to connect with your LDAP Server and perform a recursive query to search for the user/user group in the LDAP server. Once it is fetched you can use them in the configuration (ex: Firewall Policy) and that can be pushed to Fortigate.

If you have multiple Fortigate devices using different LDAP Servers in the FMG (Ex: using per device mapping for LDAP Server for each FGT devices), then communication should be allowed from FMG to these servers.

Refer to this article for more info.

Configuring LDAP system administrators in FortiManager for FortiGate

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiManager/Technical-Tip-Configuring-LDAP-system-administrators-...

Hope this answers your questions and let me know if you still need any clarification.

Best Regards,

Saneesh

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
saneeshpv_FTNT

Hi,

You can use LDAP protocol in FortiManager to integrate it with your Directory services and can be used them as a means of verifying the Administrative Credentials. You need to allow required port (389/636) for the communication between FMG and your Directory server.

Regards,

polarpanda

Thank you Saneeskpv.

If i need to use Fortimanager to add or edit Fortigate User&Authentication -> User Definition or User Groups or LDAP servers sections, i don't need to integrate directory services. Is that correct? Only when i need to user my admin account in Active Directory to login Fortimanager?

saneeshpv_FTNT

Hi,

"If i need to use Fortimanager to add or edit Fortigate User&Authentication -> User Definition or User Groups or LDAP servers sections"

- In the Fortimanager when you add LDAP Sever under the "Policy Package -> Object Configuration -> User & Authentication -> LDAP Server" and then add Remote User or User group under "User&Authentication -> User Definition or User Groups", it will try to connect with your LDAP Server and perform a recursive query to search for the user/user group in the LDAP server. Once it is fetched you can use them in the configuration (ex: Firewall Policy) and that can be pushed to Fortigate.

If you have multiple Fortigate devices using different LDAP Servers in the FMG (Ex: using per device mapping for LDAP Server for each FGT devices), then communication should be allowed from FMG to these servers.

Refer to this article for more info.

Configuring LDAP system administrators in FortiManager for FortiGate

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiManager/Technical-Tip-Configuring-LDAP-system-administrators-...

Hope this answers your questions and let me know if you still need any clarification.

Best Regards,

Saneesh

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors