Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
J__Hoffmann
New Contributor

FortiGuard WebFilter Issues w/ 7.0.14 (CVE-2024-21762 patch)

Hi All, 

at one of our customers, we installed FortiOS 7.0.14 to fix the latest CVE vulnerability (CVE-2024-21762). The FortiGate #e have had issues is an Azure-based VM. As FOS 7.0.13 runs w/o any issues, we now see errors with WebFilter profiles activated. All web requests are being blocked by following error: All Fortiguard servers failed to respond. A rating error occurs". As we are using SSL-VPN connections w/ FortiClient, we decided to deactivate WebFilter profile. We switched update server locations from "US only" back to "lowest latency locations" which didn't help. FortiGuard Web Filter servers were (and are) available but w/ higher latency of ~130ms. At the moment, they latence's back to ~80ms

For troubleshooting purposes, I gonna setup a dedicated test rule for a few clients only and re-activate WebFilter and also DNS Filter profiles. Next, I gonna switch from the security profile group we now use and try to add single security profiles - just to make sure, it's not an group issue. 

Anyone sees / saw similar issues w/ 7.0.14? Any idea, hints? Anything? Many thanks so far. 

____

Please find below "system fortiguard" configuration:

config system fortiguard
    set fortiguard-anycast disable
    set protocol udp
    set port 8888
    set update-server-location usa 
    set sdns-server-ip "208.91.112.220"
end

Principal IT Consultant (NSE7) at AppSphere AG, Germany
3 REPLIES 3
J__Hoffmann

Thanks for pointing out, I already checked that. Anyway, I need to trace / debug Web Filter rating though. 

J__Hoffmann
New Contributor

Update as of 2024-02-15: two days ago, I reactivated both, DNS and web filter security profiles (as mentioned before, we're using a security profile group) and - funny thing - everything worked. No more "no SDNS server available" errors. Obviously, it was a temporary issue exactly that specific Friday afternoon. D'oh! 

Thanks for your support, @hbac

BTW, `diag debug rating` shows web filter DISABLED as long as there's no web or DNS filter profile used in the policy. Didn't knew that, too. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors