Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Macronet
New Contributor

FortiGate VM User/PW lost

FortiGate VM Trial | OS Version: FGVMK6-FW-7.04-2463

Hello team, I changed my admin user from User admin to User Admin on the GUI and left the password the same. But I can no longer access the GUI or the FortiGate VM via CLI with the admin user. What options do I have to undo this or reset the user and password? Thank you for feedback. Best regards

5 REPLIES 5
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Marco

Few months ago I changed admin username and it worked just fine. So in normal situation you should be able to login with "Admin" user with the same password.

As per my knowledge it is not possible to reset admin password on FG-VM. You have to restore your VM (if you have VM backup or snapshot).

AEK
AEK
Macronet
New Contributor

Hi AEK, thank you very much for the information. Good to know that you can change User admin to Admin. Ok, I think I need a new VM license. Best regards,

AEK

If your old license still valid then you don't need new license. Just install a new VM then open a CS ticket to ask Fortinet to move the license to the new VM.

AEK
AEK
DPadula
Staff
Staff

Hi Macronet,

If you have changed it won't be possible to recover it. But  you can try to use the EC2 instance ID as described on this article just in case. 

Before such change, you should take a snap shot of the VM in case something goes wrong you can undo the changes.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-AWS-FortiGate-Password-Recovery/ta-p/19012...

Macronet
New Contributor

Hi everyone, after restoring the VM I can get a login again. Thank you very much for your support.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors