Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fvazquez
New Contributor III

FortiClient MacOS configuration restore

Hello, everyone.

I've recently installed FortiClient VPN only v7.2.4 in MacOS Sonoma 14 and tried to restore a configuration file extracted from a Windows device generated on a previous version (v7.2.3) but ran into the "Error importing configuration file" message box.

I've noticed some of the xml lines are different from the Windows and MacOS version so I had modified them but as it turns out neither a newly generated backup file from the MacOS installed client seems to be working by restoring it right after being generated. Has anyone of you been in this situation? I've thought about manually creating each VPN but I'm missing most of the PSKs of the IPsec tunnels. 

Is there any known workaround or method to restore configurations?

Thanks!

Felipe Vázquez - ET Com, Operations Engineer
4 REPLIES 4
Stephen_G

Hello fvazquez,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks

Stephen - Fortinet Community Team
Stephen_G

Hello,

We are still looking for someone to help you.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

Stephen - Fortinet Community Team
fvazquez
New Contributor III

Thanks for the follow up, @Stephen_G !

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue. I even tried to generate a clean backup in the MacOS FortiClient and restoring it but the same "Error importing configuration file" pops up. I''m guessing this is not a normal behavior, since it was a backup generated from the same Mac device and not even that file is restoring correctly. I've had my SSL tunnels configured manually by now, but still haven't done so with the IPsec tunnels which are missing their corresponding PSK.

Best regards!

btan
Staff
Staff

Hi fvazquez,

I just tested with macOS 14, export a Free FCT 7.2.4 config and restored the config back to it, it can be done successfully.

As macOS FCT config file isn't export in a readable text form, it would be difficult to check what is broken/corrupt in your config file.

Perhaps you may try with another fresh new macOS, config the same VPN and export another config file that is clean.

Regards,
Bon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors