Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
u21
New Contributor

FortiClient(7.2.3.0929) VPN disconnection and extreme slow internet connection for Windows 10 64 bit

Hi,

When I connect to FortiClient VPN Client (https://adbconnect.adbanker.com:10443) then suddenly my 5G WiFi  internet connection goes down and even FortiClient keeps getting disconnected very frequently and often need to enter User ID and password to connect it again and again? I have Windows 10 64 bit OS installed on my laptop and the free version of FortiClient I downloaded and installed on my laptop from this website (Product Downloads | Fortinet Product Downloads | Support) is 7.2.3.0929

Also, the moment it's get connected to FortiClient VPN then my internet speed also becomes very (extremely very slow) and I get disconnected from my 5G WiFi internet connection and an icon showing 'network access' starts appearing instead of 5G Wi-Fi connection symbol.

1) How to resolve this error permanently?

Please refer to the attached screenshot (showing disconnected 5G Wi-Fi and connected to extremely slow 'Network access' icon for this issue and speedtest.net screen shot showing extremely download/upload internet speed for this connected 'Network access' when I am connected to this FortiClient VPN) for more clarification on this issue on this link-https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/612421591917191168?codeId=v6224Zd2jl3q9&origin=imageurl... Free Image Annotation Tool Online - Gemoo'

2) Also, once it gets disconnected, I don't find any option to save password on VPN (FortiClient Window where we enter user ID and Password) so that I may not have to enter it each time once it's disconnected from FortiClient VPN

So, could someone please advise to resolve these issues? 

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
u21
New Contributor

3) Apart from the above issues it also gets disconnected automatically very often when I switch user account (between the windows user accounts (using Control+Alt + Delete).

Thanks.

ebilcari
Staff
Staff

First you need to isolate if the problem is the VPN or your internet connection stability. A simple continues ping to your VPN server and a public IP (1.1.1.1) should be kept running for some time to check for any packet loss.

Depending on the offered VPN, you need to identify if it is using full or split tunnel. If it's full tunnel that means that all device's traffic is pointed to the VPN server and it's handled by the company rules (rate limiting, filtering etc.). To verify this from the client perspective just check the routing table, in case of windows client:

>route print -4

IPv4 Route Table
======================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.51  45

if you see a default route pointing to the VPN subnet than it means that this VPN is in full tunnel mode and that explains the latency you are experiencing.

The FortiClient feature of auto connect and save credentials is not available in the free version.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
u21
New Contributor

Hi,

1) This seems to be very clear as mentioned that this issue occurs mostly the moment, I am connected to the FortiClient (by entering the VPN Name User Name and Password' in the Remote Access of this FortiClient version.

2) WHEN i PING 1.1.1.1 I see 0 % loss packets sent :4  received : 4.

3) I am still not sure whether it's using full/split tunnel ?

when I ran this >route print  -4

I got a big table with entries in it with Active Routes: and with Persistence Routes: None

column headings (Network.Destination,Netmask,Gateway,Metric) had some data in it like you mentioned for Active Routes..

4) I am still not sure whether it's 'default route pointing to the VPN subnet' -How can I be sure of this?

Could someone please clarify it in easy language what exactly is causing this issue and how can it be resolved? 

Thanks

ebilcari

When you check the routing table on the end host, just focus on the routes that start with 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (that will be one ore two entries):

Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 

you can check from FortiClient (REMOTE ACCESS) the IP that the PC got from the VPN. The gateway in (route print output) is expected to be a similar IP, on the same subnet.

If you are still confused just run the commands and upload the content here:

> ipconfig /all

> route print -4

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
u21
New Contributor

Hi,

The IP which PC got from VPN is not found neither on the routes which start with 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
nor in any of the table entries generated by the command > route print -4.

So what does it mean here ? Why am I experiencing this issue? what can be done to resolve this issue ?

Thanks

M_Salv13
New Contributor

It might be your SSL VPN DNS server or something else causing slow network/computer performance. Do you have Forticlient EMS in placed? I recently deployed same version of Forticlient via EMS deployment service. In my experienced with this version password cache no longer works you have to enable below settings under EMS Remote Access Profile XML settings if you are deploying installer from EMS

<show_remember_password>1</show_remember_password>
<show_alwaysup>1</show_alwaysup>
<show_autoconnect>1</show_autoconnect>

Same settings should be enabled under FW VPN portal settings or else it will keeps prompting every time you login to your your machine

set auto-connect enable
set keep-alive enable
set save-password enable

u21
New Contributor

I am using FortiClient VPN
7.2.3.0929 which I downloaded from fortinet.com.

also do you mean to say i should try  try FortiClient Endpoint Management Server (EMS)from above link ? but it says "

For licensed FortiClient EMS, please click "Try Now" below for a trial.

" so does it mean one has to buy license to try it ? also  when it's advised here "It might be your SSL VPN DNS server or something else causing slow network/computer performance. "

how can it be ensured whether  it's SSL VPN DNS server issue or something else?

should i try FortiClient Endpoint Management Server (EMS)from above link

for this Forticlient EMS as mentioned here "this version password cache no longer
works you have to enable below settings under EMS Remote Access Profile XML settings if you are deploying installer from EMS
"

where can i find these settings in my laptop at which path ?

also when advised here that that "Same settings should be enabled under FW VPN portal settings" where can i find these settings to enable ?

I want free version of fortclient which is stable and does not disconnect frequently and once connected does not slow down my internet wifi speed at my laptop plus even in
worst case if it gets disconnected then i don't need to reenter password again and again.

Thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors