Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
PierrePaulDuval
New Contributor II

FortiClient 7.0.10 - Screen goes black after clicking "Other User" at lock screen

Hello all, 

Hope you are doing well.  We upgraded from FortiClient 7.0.9 to 7.0.10 this week.  I've looked at all the known issues for 7.0.10 (and older versions) and I couldn't find one that would be remotely close to this one.  We use Windows 10 22H2 in production.

Let's say you are logged in and you want to log in with another user.  So you press CTRL+ALT+DEL and click "Switch user".  At the bottom left of the lock screen, when you click "other user" the screen(s) go black and nothing happens. The only way to get out, is to do CTRL+ALT+DEL, the screen goes back to the lock screen but goes black again 2 seconds later. This loops forever. I looked at Event Viewer and it seems that the FortiCredentialProvider2.dll module crashes every time the screen goes black, see screenshot.  The 4 applications errors show the dll module crashing.

If you reboot and still want to change the user, it's the exact same issue.  So you technically can't switch to another user since Windows has the last user connected on the screen. Note: It does also the same on Windows 11 22H2.

FortiCredentialProvider2.DLL.png

Pierre-Paul Duval
Pierre-Paul Duval
5 REPLIES 5
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Nice troubleshooting!

AEK
AEK
PierrePaulDuval
New Contributor II

Update - The same issue also happens when the user unlocks her computer and the screen goes black after roughly 2 seconds. Although, if they hit CTRL ALT DEL again, they will be able to unlock their computer. I was skeptic at first but when I looked her the event viewer I saw this (see screenshot).  Usually, when they are trying to switch user, you will see multiple dll crash in a row.  This time, it's a 37 minute gap.  So it does make sense.
FortiClientBlack.png

Pierre-Paul Duval
Pierre-Paul Duval
PierrePaulDuval
New Contributor II

Issue is apparently fixed in the new 7.0.11 version.  I will go test and let you know.

Thank you!

Resolved issues _ FortiClient 7.0.11.png

Pierre-Paul Duval
Pierre-Paul Duval
PierrePaulDuval
New Contributor II

I've been testing 7.0.11 since last Friday morning and I wasn't able to replicate the issue.  It's fixed.

Pierre-Paul Duval
Pierre-Paul Duval
AEK

Thanks for sharing, Pierre.

AEK
AEK
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors