Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dsykora
New Contributor II

FortiClient 6.0.3.0155 blocks some youtube videos by default

Hello,

I am new to FortiClient and am using it for Anti Virus on a few Win 7 Pro computers.  When some youtube videos are attempted (i.e. [link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6DqPBJNkvk[/link] ), I get an error message in the viewer "Video unavailable This video is restricted.  Try signing in with a Google Apps account."  If Forticlient is shutdown, the video works.  If Forticlient is restarted, the video fails again.  I do not see any indication that the site is blocked in Forticlient (no notifications, 0 Sites Blocked).  I tried adding an exclusion *.youtube.com  but that didn't help either.  I cleared the Forticlient log, tried to open video, and then exported the log.  However, I do not see any blocking.  I can add the log file if that is useful to anyone.  

Any suggestions to troubleshoot this issue are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale Sykora

2 Solutions
dsykora
New Contributor II

The problem went away when we downgraded to Forticlient 6.0.2 

View solution in original post

tsypyshev_pi

So, the cause of this problem is a safe search feature enabled by default. I've found solution to disable it. You need unlock settings and go to Settings -> System section -> Backup. Specify backup file and click Ok. Then open XML file in any text editor and find <safe_search> section. Change values from 1 to 0 for <enabled> variables.

<safe_search>
  <enabled>0</enabled>
  <search_engines>
     <enabled>0</enabled>
After that save file and restore configuration from this file. I think this feature is presented in EMS GUI, but absent int FC GUI.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
eastcoastmatt

Has anyone else observed that after a shutdown and restart of the FortiClient, the safe_search flag gets re-enabled. 

As per recommendations in this thread, I backed up my conf file and made the following changes:

<safe_search> <enabled>0</enabled> <search_engines> <enabled>0</enabled>

I then re-imported my conf file. Youtube videos no longer being blocked. Great...BUT....i shutdown my forticlient, and re-launched it. Tried to get to the same Youtube videos, and now, again blocked with the permission message from youtube. When I looked at my conf file again, I see that the safe_search was re-enabled. 

<safe_search>

<enabled>1</enabled> <search_engines> <enabled>0</enabled>

I have no idea why it would do this. I'm not using EMS, just the standalone version of Forticlient. The only fix I could figure for this was to add an exemption in my web filter settings for *youtube.com

Thoughts?

tsypyshev_pi

eastcoastmatt wrote:

Has anyone else observed that after a shutdown and restart of the FortiClient, the safe_search flag gets re-enabled. 

As per recommendations in this thread, I backed up my conf file and made the following changes:

<safe_search> <enabled>0</enabled> <search_engines> <enabled>0</enabled>

I then re-imported my conf file. Youtube videos no longer being blocked. Great...BUT....i shutdown my forticlient, and re-launched it. Tried to get to the same Youtube videos, and now, again blocked with the permission message from youtube. When I looked at my conf file again, I see that the safe_search was re-enabled. 

<safe_search>

<enabled>1</enabled> <search_engines> <enabled>0</enabled>

I have no idea why it would do this. I'm not using EMS, just the standalone version of Forticlient. The only fix I could figure for this was to add an exemption in my web filter settings for *youtube.com

Thoughts?

I've catched the same situation, when I've changed some another settings in xml config (I'm not sure, but I think I tried to enable application firewall). In this case after restart OS, FC config settings was changed to default.

AlexFeren

In summary...

<safe_search> <enabled>1</enabled>

causes FortiClient to modify Windows' "c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" to include local DNS resolutions:

213.180.193.56 yandex.ru # redirected to familysearch.yandex.ru by Forticlient SafeSearch 213.180.193.56 yandex.lt # redirected to familysearch.yandex.ru by Forticlient SafeSearch 213.180.193.56 xmlsearch.yandex.ua # redirected to familysearch.yandex.ru by Forticlient SafeSearch 213.180.193.56 www.yandex.lt # redirected to familysearch.yandex.ru by Forticlient SafeSearch 213.180.193.56 yandex.net # redirected to familysearch.yandex.ru by Forticlient SafeSearch

:

216.239.38.120 www.youtube.com # redirected to restrict.youtube.com by Forticlient SafeSearch 216.239.38.120 m.youtube.com # redirected to restrict.youtube.com by Forticlient SafeSearch 216.239.38.120 youtubei.googleapis.com # redirected to restrict.youtube.com by Forticlient SafeSearch 216.239.38.120 youtube.googleapis.com # redirected to restrict.youtube.com by Forticlient SafeSearch 216.239.38.120 www.youtube-nocookie.com # redirected to restrict.youtube.com by Forticlient SafeSearch 204.79.197.220 www.bing.com # redirected to strict.bing.com by Forticlient SafeSearch Manually editing this file won't help - FortiClient monitors and restores its contents.

As noted before, edited configuration, imported via FortiClient GUI or "fcconfig -f edited_settings.xml -m all -o import" (after disconnecting from "Security Fabric", otherwise get "The configuration settings are protected with registration.") won't persist after reboot. Would love to know how to persist.

bpabmeyer
New Contributor

I tried this and tried editing with Notepad ++.  The file looks like its encrypted.  What else can i do without rolling back to 6.0.2?  I am currently on 6.0.4.

tsypyshev_pi

bpabmeyer wrote:

I tried this and tried editing with Notepad ++.  The file looks like its encrypted.  What else can i do without rolling back to 6.0.2?  I am currently on 6.0.4.

It looks that you've saved encrypted config. You just need save it without password (clear Password and Re-enter Password fields).

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors