Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
janderson13
New Contributor

Equal Bandwidth Shaping

Hello,

I would like to build a bandwidth shaping policy that allows equal access for all users, but at the same time allowing 1 user full bandwidth if no-one else is online.  I'm not trying to shape based on source, destination, URL, or Application - just fair bandwidth for each host.  For Example, I have 10Mb upload capability (with a 1GB Ethernet link between the Fortigate and ISP router in case that makes a difference) and I want everyone to have equal access - if 100 users are each sending data then each is given 100Kb of bandwidth.  What I'm seeing right now is 1 host can take a majority of the bandwidth and cause latency problems for other hosts.

Thanks, Jeff

6 REPLIES 6
leon84
New Contributor

Hi, I have the same problem. Have you solved? 

Thanks in advance.

ede_pfau

As far as I know traffic shaping is not cooperative in FortiOS.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
leon84

Have you solved in other way?
badnerone
New Contributor II

Hi,

Same teodius problem, me too. My customers ( and me ) are very tired for this. In my real world I have internet bandwidth very small so if I not share equally the downloads, internet simply blocked for other clients not downloading.

ede_pfau

No, I haven't found any other way to share the momentarily available bw. This means for example that on a 100 Mbps line, with 10 Mbps upstream bw, I have to cap the single IP bw to 5 Mbps. Not nice but that's all there is.

After all, traffic shaping is not usually a feature a firewall is supposed to offer - you get it for free, you have to take it as it is.

Thinking about it, a solution is not that easy to implement. Instead of watching a static max value the FGT would have to continuously calculate the used bw and the number of users|connections to set a limit dynamically.

Might be worth a feature request with your local FTNT SE.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
leon84

ede_pfau wrote:

No, I haven't found any other way to share the momentarily available bw. This means for example that on a 100 Mbps line, with 10 Mbps upstream bw, I have to cap the single IP bw to 5 Mbps. Not nice but that's all there is.

After all, traffic shaping is not usually a feature a firewall is supposed to offer - you get it for free, you have to take it as it is.

Thinking about it, a solution is not that easy to implement. Instead of watching a static max value the FGT would have to continuously calculate the used bw and the number of users|connections to set a limit dynamically.

Might be worth a feature request with your local FTNT SE.

Me too. I applied in the same policy a shared shaper and per ip shaper. It isn't a nice way to operate beacuse an user can't use all bandwidth available dinamically. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors