Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Kenundrum
Contributor III

Email whitelist triggering Spam detect dashboard

I' ve got a FortiGate 60b running on 4.0 MR2. We recently turned on the anti-spam function and added a whitelist entry to prevent any emails from our own domain from being tagged. We currently have a basic email service hosted offsite and users connect with pop3 to get mail. The whitelist is working correctly- it has not tagged any emails @companyname.com as spam, however it appears to be triggering the log and increasing the spam count. On the dashboard, when you look at the details, mixed in with the legitimate spam detections are entries where the spamtype is listed as " From email address is in email whitelist (no.1 pattern matched)" Has anyone else seen this behavior? It doesn' t appear to be causing a problem, but it is annoying since it does not allow for an accurate estimate of actual spam email counts throughout the day.

CISSP, NSE4

CISSP, NSE4
2 REPLIES 2
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello, there' re several settings that could be triggering the spam settings. Remember also that ' white listing' it' s not the antispam setting with higher priority. Could it be possible that you' re receiveing fake emails from @companyname.com fake addresses that could trigger AS other filters. Look this article http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=10539 to get a picture. regards,

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
I_Hoffmann
New Contributor

We are running a 200b with FortiOS 4.0 MR2 Patch 2. Same problem as kenundrum writes here. We have several entries in our whitelist and every mail from senders on the whitelist is counted as spam on the dashboard. If something else triggers the spam counter, why is it logged as " Spam Type" -> " from email address is in email whitelist" ? Sure it' s not a bad idea to know whether a whitelist works or not, but there should be an other counter for that i think. regards i. hoffmann
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors