Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
edson2024
New Contributor

Dual stack in SSLVPN tunnel mode (Forticlient) and NAT when using IPv6

Hello, we are planning to implement dual stack for Forticlient SSLVPN users. (FortiOS 7.0.14, Forticlient 7.0.7 free version)

We are aware that when using dual stack the firewall policies MUST be configured with both IPv4 and IPv6 stacks.

We have an SSL pool of addresses for IPv4 and another SSL pool of addresses for IPv6. 

Questions:

1) - Does forticlient get both an IPv4 and an IPv6 when connected? (Dual stack enabled in Forticlient)

2)- Since NAT is required for IPv4 to work (in example: SSLVPN -> Internet ), how is IPv6 traffic handled?

Do  you require to also use an IPv6 address in the outbound firewall rule to NAT the outgoing traffic?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello edson2024,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello edson2024,

We are still looking for someone to help you.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello edson 2024,

Did you have a look at this document?:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.0.0/new-features/766455/dual-stack-ipv4-and-ipv6-supp...

Tell me if it helping. If not, we will continue to investigate.

Regards,

edson2024

Hi.. yes, i had a look into that document, it does not address the issue... We are not using (or planning to use)  the "Enabled based on policy destination" option, for us, Split tunneling is disabled and the policies will be source All destination All... 

thanks

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello edson,

Oh ok! We will continue to have a look then.

Regards,

edson2024

hi, anything? ... it cannot be that complex

btan
Staff
Staff

Hi edson2024,

1) Yes, FCT does get both ipv4 and ipv6 when dual stack enabled, albeit in FCT GUI it will only show ipv4 IP it gets.

2) As it is full tunnel, I'd reckon you will need to include ipv6 address in FW policy.

Regards,
Bon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors