Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rezafathi
Contributor II

DoS policies

Hello

I want to protect these items from DoS attack with my fortigate. How can I do that?

- the fortigate itself

- 5 VIPs servers

- Local network ( port1 with 10 sub-interfaces for vlans)

Reza F.
Reza F.
4 REPLIES 4
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Reza

First you may start from here:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.3/administration-guide/771644/dos-policy

Then once you want to setup the DoS policies, go slowly with the thresholds.. squeezing a lot may block the legitimate traffic as well.

AEK
AEK
rezafathi
Contributor II

The link you sent did not help me.

- how can i prevent dos attack to fortigate?

- How can i prevent my local network to be part of ddos attack? (I can not select more than one sub interface in dos policy)

Reza F.
Reza F.
AEK

Hi Reza

DoS is not DDoS. As @adambomb1219 said, unlike DoS, DDoS can't be blocked by FG.

From the document I provided above you can understand the meaning of each DoS policy parameter, then you enable just the protection you need on the interface you need.

You can specify one incoming interface in each policy, but you can create as many policies as you need.

AEK
AEK
adambomb1219
SuperUser
SuperUser

If you are legitimately concerns with DDoS protection, you should look at a dedicated DDoS Appliance or better yet a cloud SaaS service such as CloudFlare.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors