Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dpkg-i-foo-deb
New Contributor

DNS Server subdomain wildcard

Hello, I have setup some dial-up VPNs for employees and we're trying to use the Fortigate DNS server to allow the clients to use hostnames instead of ip addresses

So far we've managed to set up the DNS server and use it on the dial-up VPN. However, we haven't found any way to create a record for all subdomains of a domain and there's a domain with a lot of subdomains that may change over time, but they all resolve to the same ip address

Is there a way we can use a wildcard? We've tried on the GUI and we cannot use '*' or anything similar

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-09 143317.png

2 REPLIES 2
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

Few months ago I searched for the same but I didn't find a solution, while most DNS servers do accept wildcard subdomain definition.

AEK
AEK
dpkg-i-foo-deb

This is a bit disappointing, I have searched and tried everything and there's no apparent way to use a wildcard for a DNS server. Would be an amazing feature for a Fortigate, but I understand they're firewalls and not DNS servers. I guess we will host our own dns server and set it for the VPN users then

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors