Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Kaplan
Contributor

Console Port

I have a FG60F

I will connect with serial over Putty and use the console Port on FG

Can I use a Rollover Cable with RJ45 on both Sides?

If yes, how I can configure a COM Port to use the Cable with

Notebook on Ethernet Port

FG on Console Port

If it doesn't function so I want to do this, which ways I have to connect with my Notebook without an serial com port to connect to Fortigate on console Port

7 REPLIES 7
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

You need a serial cable connected to a serial port on notebook side. Today's laptop's generally don't have rs232 port, so you can use a USB to rs232 cable. This is usually provided with FG200F and higher. Or you can buy it everywhere.

You need to initiate a serial connection of 9600 baud rate.

AEK
AEK
dbu
Staff
Staff

Adding further to what @AEK  said :

You connect the RJ45 on the FortiGate console port and USB on the Laptop/PC . 

Open device manager and monitor which COM port will show there and modify it on the putty connection settings. 

Here you have more information: 

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-connect-to-the-FortiGate-console-po...

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

You cannot do that, but as a workaround that I have used in the past with devices that don't have a dedicated managed port, you can do the following: If you have a free port on the FGT, you can dedicate it as "OOBM", configure a small unused subnet, assign an IP, and enable only SSH.

In case you need access when you are physically near the FGT, just connect your laptop directly to that port set the IP 10.255.255.2 255.255.255.252 and access the FGT with a SSH client like putty:

oobm.PNG

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
Kaplan

Hey Ebilcari,

yes I am looking as same for this Option. I read, there are 2 Options.
One of them

Unbenannt.jpg

I am not Sure from which Subnet I give the Port 7 a IP Adresse and CIDR Size
Also I don't know, what I put in 
"Gateway" and

"Destination Subnet"
Like in the picture HA settings for the management Interface Reservation

ebilcari

Now I see that you have a HA of FGTs. If you need local access only (access from the laptop that is directly connected on port 7), there is no need to put any GW or destination subnet. More information is shown in this article.

- Emirjon
Kaplan
Contributor

Thanx for the answers

I do not want use any other port on Notebook as the Ethernet Port. Becaus I havn't any console Cables. So I made a own RolloverCable with RJ45 on both sides and dont want use any USB Ports on Notebook. I need in my cause a serial Link from Notebook Ethernet to Forti Ethernet (console Port)

ebilcari

Just to be clear, even though the console port share the same pins layout of a standard RJ45 (used also for ethernet), it doesn't mean that with the right cabling you can make it work. They have different circuits/logic behind and use different communication protocols (RS232 vs Ethernet).
If you have only the ethernet/RJ45 port in your laptop you have to use one of the ethernet ports of FGT and set an IP communication between them to open SSH and get CLI access.

- Emirjon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors