Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
merlin02131
New Contributor

Attempting to set up SFP connection to layer 3 switch

Hi Everyone

new Member here trying to navigate etc. 

Question 

dell 4148 switches @ layer 3 

Fortigate 200D being replaced eventually with a 200E  firewall

Does anyone have any Documentation on set up for the SFP  connection ?

I need to know the Max speed I can connect at as well as I see multiple SFP's available and not sure of the speed to purchase etc. 

The 4148 can handle higher speeds but need to know the limitations of the firewall !

Thanks 

Rich

2 REPLIES 2
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

According to the datasheet, the FG-200D has 2 SFP ports. On SFP, 1 Gbps is supported - no Fast Ethernet, no 10G. (Note that the raw firewall throughput is rated at 4 Gbps.)

AFAIK Fortinet offers SX and LX transceivers, for short range (up to 300 m) and long range. You could most probably (99%) use DELL transceivers as well, perferably with DDM/DOM. You would then be able to use CX DAC (over copper coax) as well which might be convenient in a rack. Personally I don't like handling copper DAC cables and always get fiber. YMMV.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
merlin02131

Good Morning

That is exactly what I was trying to find out as it got a bit confusing reading the datasheet and info online . We are using the 200E ( replacing the 200D ) at our Data center but have 3 200D's still in use as well !  I wanted to make sure our throughputs would handle everything and it looks like 4G would be sufficient for the Internet . We have SFP's in use now for our Fiber switch connections so I'll probably end up using those for the connection . Thanks very much !!! Appreciate the help ! 

Regards

Rich 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors