Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
luca1994
New Contributor III

Application MMS port 3389 instead RDP

Hello team,

The Fortigate firewall's application control recognizes the MMS application on port 3389, I would expect it to recognize RDP. How does MMS get recognized as an application?

mms.png

Thank you
BR

1 Solution
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Oh sorry, the traffic log that you shared on first post is UDP (17), while RDP is TCP. That's why id doesn't show RDP.

On the other hand your hand 3389 UDP is included in range 1024-5000 that you created as MMS service. Also I don't find MMS application in my application signatures list, so FG may have shown MMS for Application as well just because the app signature was not detected and your service name is MMS (I guess).

AEK

View solution in original post

AEK
4 REPLIES 4
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Luca

By default on FortiGate the 3389 port is associated with RDP service.

On the other hand MMS port is 1755.

It seems on your firewall the RDP service has been renamed to MMS.

AEK
AEK
luca1994
New Contributor III

Hi @AEK ,

no, the RDP service is

rdp.png

and the MMS service is

mms.png

seem to be configured correctly. I cannot understand why the application control detects the MMS service on port 3389.

Thank you

BR

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Oh sorry, the traffic log that you shared on first post is UDP (17), while RDP is TCP. That's why id doesn't show RDP.

On the other hand your hand 3389 UDP is included in range 1024-5000 that you created as MMS service. Also I don't find MMS application in my application signatures list, so FG may have shown MMS for Application as well just because the app signature was not detected and your service name is MMS (I guess).

AEK
AEK
luca1994
New Contributor III

Sorry to you Aek. I had missed this "little" detail: the traffic is UDP and not TCP.

Thank you very much as always
See you soon

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors