Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
m_ls
New Contributor II

Allow Whatsapp Voice and Text only

Hi everyone, 

Can you guide me how can I allow Whatsapp voice and text only and deny video calls and file transfers? 

The firewalls we are using are on the version 7.2.6, Fortigate 100F. 

Thanks in advance for any guidelines. 

Regards 

Mihail

1 Solution
AEK

If this is the only app you want to allow the I guess you also need to allow some other mandatory services like DNS. Probably other services are needed by WhatsApp but I can't help further.

You can test and see if it works, you may need to enable traffic logs as first step so you see what is blocked, in case some mandatory services are blocked you can see them in the logs and allow them until WhatsApp works fine.

AEK

View solution in original post

AEK
7 REPLIES 7
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Mihail

Here are the existing WhatsApp signature. I don't think we can deny video calls without affecting other features.

Selection_019.png

AEK
AEK
m_ls
New Contributor II

so basically if I allow whatsapp voice, video will be implicitly allowed. got it. Now, how a policy rule should look like? I have done it in this way but I am now sure if is the correct way 

Screenshot 2024-03-27 141841.png

Screenshot 2024-03-27 142014.png

AEK

Be careful, this app ctrl profile will deny all applications but WhatsApp.

What are you trying to do exactly?

AEK
AEK
m_ls
New Contributor II

trying to create an isolates ssid where the people can use only whatsapp to text and do phone calls. 

AEK

If this is the only app you want to allow the I guess you also need to allow some other mandatory services like DNS. Probably other services are needed by WhatsApp but I can't help further.

You can test and see if it works, you may need to enable traffic logs as first step so you see what is blocked, in case some mandatory services are blocked you can see them in the logs and allow them until WhatsApp works fine.

AEK
AEK
m_ls
New Contributor II

cool, thank you for your help. 

m_ls
New Contributor II

what has to do your reply with my question? 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors