Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ZafirFX
New Contributor

Adding Fortiswitch to existing FortiGate

I tried to find on the forum but did not succeed.

Just wondering, is it possible to add a FortiSwitch to the existing FortiGate where the VLAN interfaces are living under an interface on the FortiGate? Normally, I would take a fresh FGT and a FTS and build the VLAN interfaces under FortiSwitch VLANs, but those already exist on the FortiGate. So, I'm just looking for some migration steps to replace the old none Fortinet switch with the FortiSwitch with FortiLink.

6 REPLIES 6
saleha
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. I believe you cannot join swtich using that vlan to fortilink while the vlan interface is configured on a different interface on the fortigate. Is there a reason not to create the vlan interface under fortilink then join the switch using that vlan. I know you will have to delete the vlan interface first to free it up from the other interface in order to be able to add it under fortilink which creates an issue if you have production network already using this vlan.

Thank you,

saleha

ZafirFX
New Contributor

That's true... Juts wondering if it will be possible to crate vlan interfaces in the fortiswitch, remove the vlan interfaces on the fortigate and then add the fortiswitch to the fortigate via FortiLink

hbac

Hi @ZafirFX,

Once you add FortiSwitch to FortiGate, it will retrieve the configuration from FortiGate. Hence, VLANs should be configured on the FortiGate. The old switch was connected to which interface? Is it not a fortilink? fortilink can be enabled on any physical interface using the following commands: 

config system interface 

edit <> 

set fortilink enable 

end 

Regards, 

ZafirFX
New Contributor

Hi,

No vlans were configured under a normal interface no FortiLink interface 

hbac

@ZafirFX,

As I mentioned, you can enable fortilink on any physical interfaces by running the following commands:

config system interface 

edit <> 

set fortilink enable 

end 

Regards,  

ZafirFX
New Contributor

Thanks for the direction... The only thing that I'm wondering is what happens if the physical interface is also a native vlan with DHCP under it.I mean If I do that the switch will get the ip addres from the DHCP pool but not the clients

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors