Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cgwv
New Contributor

Adding Fortilink to existing LAG

We have a pair of 1101E's in HA (A-P) currently in production.  They are connected to Meraki MS450's.

We purchased some fortiswitches that we want to manage in the gate via fortilink, but we did not enable fortilink on our 40gbps LAG configuration before adding subinterfaces, policies, etc.  So we are now unable to configure fortilink on this interface.

We talked to support and they recommended that we take a backup of the current config, add "set fortilink enable" to our LAG in the config file, and then restore the gates from the modified config file.

Does anyone have experience doing anything like this?

The fortiswitches will not be diretly connected to the gate, they will be downstream and connected to MS225's/MS425's.  Our gate is currently on 7.0.13.

Thanks!

Colton
Colton
1 Solution
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @cgwv,

Have you tried to enable fortilink on the LAG interface? If yes, did you get any error messages? I tested in my lab. I have an 802.3ad Aggregate interface with a VLAN subinterface and a firewall policy for that VLAN. I was able to enable fortilink for that 802.3ad Aggregate interface in the CLI without any issues. 

config system interface 

edit LAG 

set fortilink enable 

end 

Regards, 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @cgwv,

Have you tried to enable fortilink on the LAG interface? If yes, did you get any error messages? I tested in my lab. I have an 802.3ad Aggregate interface with a VLAN subinterface and a firewall policy for that VLAN. I was able to enable fortilink for that 802.3ad Aggregate interface in the CLI without any issues. 

config system interface 

edit LAG 

set fortilink enable 

end 

Regards, 

cgwv
New Contributor

Hey, @hbac,

So we tried to add it through the GUI.  No error message, the LAG just doesnt show up in the list of interfaces that we can choose from to add as a fortlink interface.
When we talked to support, they told us that if we did what you just suggested that it would wipe out the rest of the configuration on the LAG interface.  So we did not try that lol.

We have a 61F we can test it on, so we'll try it out.  Thanks!

Colton
Colton
alisoncarl
New Contributor

Adding FortiLink to an existing LAG involves modifying the configuration by enabling FortiLink on the LAG interface. Support suggests a backup, adding "set fortilink enable" to the config, then restoring. Experience with this process can ensure a smooth transition. The FortiSwitches, downstream from MS225's/MS425's, will benefit from improved management via FortiLink. Ensure compatibility with the current gate version (7.0.13). Drift Boss

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors