Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MrJingles
New Contributor

AWS EC2 Instance

Hi Guys

Hope this is the correct section to post in.

We are testing a fortigate VM64-AWS. We also have a mikrotik cloud hosted router in AWS on EC2 as well within the same VPC and same subnet.

I have done the basic config but can't seem to pass traffic to the internet going through the fortigate.

I have set my mikrotik as connected on the LAN interface of the Fortigate and they are both in the same subnet. As a test, I just routed 8.8.8.8 from the mikrotik to the fortigate LAN IP but I am not getting internet breakout. 

I have done a diag sniffer and can only see the ping from the mik to the forti but not the ping from the mik to google.

I have never worked with fortigate previously so not sure if i'm doing something wrong.

I have a default route configured on the forti.

not sure what I am doing wrong.

We basically want to run the forti as the firewall that sits between our mik(where our customers live) and the internet.

Please let me know what other info you need.

11 REPLIES 11
sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm

if you do

diag debug enable

diag debug flow filter clear

diag debug flow filter saddr 172.18.0.91

diag debug flow trace start 999

do you then see anything?

Then you should see any traffic from 172.18.0.91 to FGT.

you probably will see notibg if you use 172.18.0.91 as saddr and 8.8.8.8 as daddr as tjere is NAT in between them.

So traffic coming in from 8.8.8.8 will have your wan ip as destitnation and the FGT will then rewrite that.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
MrJingles

for some reason the traffic is not reaching the fortigate. I tested this with other instances as well other than fortigate and it is producing the same results. I've redone all the route tables and VPCs/ subnets etc without any luck.

I decided to ditch that attempt and rather do IPSEC between the devices which is working.

thanks for all the effort to try and help solve the problem. I think it is the way amazon routing tables work and I'm just not familiar enough with their way of routing to understand and find the problem. IPSEC is working though after some struggling but it does what is needed.

thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors