Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

MichDavi1
New Contributor

MERU MC3000 OS corruption due to power surge. Help!!

Hello All.

New to Forum.

I have a MC 3000 firmware ver 3.4.2-135.controller that was corrupted by a power failure.

On reboot, the post screen shows various file and director creation error and a bunch of the services do not load. When it finally gets to login [after a long time] and i log in, it says controller not fully operational. The GUI does not load etc...Suffice to say the System Director install is trashed.

This controller serves a 465 unit apt complex, so situation is dire

1. Is there any way to get a new flash card with this version so i can get back online?
  2. I have an older firmware version for this controller [3.1.3-7] on another flash card that boots cleanly with no OS boot-up POST errors.However it is not fully functional:
    • a "show license" command returns "Error: Licensing feature is disable".
    • a "licensing-management enable" command returns "system is busy....if this persists run "reload-management"..... and the GUI becomes inaccessible and i have to reboot the controller...
    • a "license controller active permanent "[Hex keys]" command returns "Error: Licensing feature is disable."
    • I don't know if this is related to license issue but in GUI pending Alarms screen:
      • multiple APs are showing AP[x] Init failure
      • Also seeing "SSL certificate controller.pem has expired....

Please i need help to get this controller back online.

thanks....

Michael Davies

11 REPLIES 11
jacklin

In Reply to John Battam:

Hi Michael,

The method Mark has referred to may work depending on how corrupt the compact flash card is on your MC3000.

Please download the SD 4.0-165 recovery image below. Hopefully this will work.

meru-4.0-165-MC3000-rpm-recovery.tar
Password: gUsN3GRP
https://fortinet.egnyte.com/dl/EclMQyo8YC

FYI signing up for a support account will not help unless you have a valid Fortinet support contract tied to your account. The MC3000 has been end of support for some time now hence a support contract would not be possible for this product.

Regards,

John Battam

Dear John Could you share the MC3000 IMG files to us for reinstall the system, Thanks for your help

Chuck_Everlea

Hi Mark & John:

I just hit hit this exact problem yesterday! In my case I was trying to upgrade a MC3200 from 8.3-1GAbuild-1 to 8.3-3GAbuild-0, when power was lost halfway through the upgrade.

I have now managed to retrieve the controller, connected to the Console, and when I power on (or restart), I can see the boot option menu for a split second before the Controller would start loading the SD software - I don’t have a chance to select the Linux Recovery option.  Have spent about 30 mins with Shane looking into this, but no luck.

Any ideas how can I “force” the boot up to wait for my input and select the Linux Recovery option...?

Thanks.

Cheers

chuck