Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

MichDavi1
New Contributor

MERU MC3000 OS corruption due to power surge. Help!!

Hello All.

New to Forum.

I have a MC 3000 firmware ver 3.4.2-135.controller that was corrupted by a power failure.

On reboot, the post screen shows various file and director creation error and a bunch of the services do not load. When it finally gets to login [after a long time] and i log in, it says controller not fully operational. The GUI does not load etc...Suffice to say the System Director install is trashed.

This controller serves a 465 unit apt complex, so situation is dire

1. Is there any way to get a new flash card with this version so i can get back online?
  2. I have an older firmware version for this controller [3.1.3-7] on another flash card that boots cleanly with no OS boot-up POST errors.However it is not fully functional:
    • a "show license" command returns "Error: Licensing feature is disable".
    • a "licensing-management enable" command returns "system is busy....if this persists run "reload-management"..... and the GUI becomes inaccessible and i have to reboot the controller...
    • a "license controller active permanent "[Hex keys]" command returns "Error: Licensing feature is disable."
    • I don't know if this is related to license issue but in GUI pending Alarms screen:
      • multiple APs are showing AP[x] Init failure
      • Also seeing "SSL certificate controller.pem has expired....

Please i need help to get this controller back online.

thanks....

Michael Davies

11 REPLIES 11
markdr_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Michael,

I appreciate that this reply is very late, however, in this case I think it would have been a good idea to perform a controller recovery.

If you were to download the recovery image for the controller from the support portal you can enter the linux console at the boot menu. Assign a temporary static IP the controller and then FTP the recovery image across.

The image will automatically uncompress and once the recovery is complete, the controller should boot up normally.

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark Ribbans
MichDavi1

Hello Mark...

Thank you for response.

What is the link and access credentials to the support portal., please?

I still need to recover this controller.

Sinc'

Michael

markdr_FTNT

Hi Michael,

You'll need to create an account here:

https://support.fortinet.com/login/CreateAccount.aspx

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark Ribbans
jbattam_FTNT

Hi Michael,

The method Mark has referred to may work depending on how corrupt the compact flash card is on your MC3000.

Please download the SD 4.0-165 recovery image below. Hopefully this will work.

meru-4.0-165-MC3000-rpm-recovery.tar
Password: gUsN3GRP
https://fortinet.egnyte.com/dl/EclMQyo8YC

FYI signing up for a support account will not help unless you have a valid Fortinet support contract tied to your account. The MC3000 has been end of support for some time now hence a support contract would not be possible for this product.

Regards,

John Battam

John Battam
Principal CSE - Wireless/IAM International Region
Fortinet
Sydney | Australia
CWNE #327
MichDavi1

Thank You John...

One question...

The corrupted controller version was 3.4.2-135 ....

Do you have a link to this version, please?

if not. will the recovery 4.0-165 image work on a Fortress Foundry Networks branded version of the MC3000?

Current version is 3.4-95....

This is currently the stop gap solution i have been using....

Sinc'

Michael

Sinc'

Michael

jbattam_FTNT

Hi Michael,

I've never worked with the Foundry Networks OEM controllers. However that version of code will definitely run on the Foundry Networks OEM of the MC3000. I saw an ebay posting with the same code version on the same controller model. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foundry-Meru-Networks-MC3000-Wireless-LAN-Controller-100-AP-License-/231764821760

What model AP's are you using with the MC3000? Just need to confirm they will run on System Director v4.

Kind Regards,

John Battam

John Battam
Principal CSE - Wireless/IAM International Region
Fortinet
Sydney | Australia
CWNE #327
MichDavi1

Hi John...

I bought a similar Foundry Controller model, with a 150AP License on ebay,as the stop-gap, when corruption occurred.

I am using a mix of AP201s and AP208s.

I also have a few older AP100s as emergency replacements...

Sinc'

Michael

MichDavi1

Hello John..

I know it has been awhile, but i would still appreciate your response to my last post

Sinc'

Michael

jacklin

Dear John

I also have one MC3000, could you help to share the img files of MC3000 to us ? Thanks, for example the MC1500 img files, meru-5.0-93-MC1500.img